- Product: The Smart Beat Baby Monitor
- Retail price: $299.50.
- Warranty: 1-year manufacturer warranty.
- My overall rating: 4.4/5.0.
How does it work?
The smart beat baby monitor has a camera that can track your little one’s breathing and its patterns. The camera itself is designed with a sophisticated algorithm that can detect millions of shades of color, and movement that is too small to be detected by the naked eye.
This camera can identify more than 16 million shades of color. With these shades of color, it can look for changes up to 2 million pixels 20 times each second. To put this into perspective, the camera processes and analyzes these changes, and really determines breathing when movement is detected.
Whether your baby is in a crib or a bassinet, the smart beat baby monitor will work either way. Matter of fact, you can place the camera anywhere in your home, and it will work just fine. You can either mount the camera with the provided screws, or with the removable sticky pads. The sticky pads are great and are more advisable so that if you wanted to re-position the camera to a different spot, you can go ahead and do so instead of drilling for new holes into the wall.
Many parents worry about how to set the whole thing up, but it really does not take that much of time, and will be worth your time anyways. The set-up process includes: mounting the camera, connecting the base station to your router, downloading the app, and then your ready to go. Just be sure you scroll through the app settings, so that they are set accordingly.
There are always features that come along with any baby monitor, and some will stand out more than the rest. Below you will find a list of the features that come with the smart beat baby monitor system:
- Breath detection: Each breath is captured, analyzed, and recorded for you to see.
- Breathing rate chart: The breathing pattern is reflected on a continuous chart.
- Camera tilt: 355 degree of camera tilt so that you can see your little one wherever they go during their sleep especially if they are in a crib.
- Zoom: This feature allows you to zoom in/out from within the app for a better look.
- Lock-down mode: You have the choice of only allowing members within your account to access the app, and no one else outside of that. If you leave this open, other smart beat owners can take a glance at your system.
- Night view vision: Your little one can still be seen even in the dark without any issues.
- Remote access: Check in on your little one whether your in a different part of the house, or out running errands.
- 2-way audio system: Speak to your little one, and listen in without causing much of disruption.
Pros & Cons
- Better camera: Better camera quality
- Less hassle: No wearable of any kind are needed with this system.
- Breathing capture: Breathing motions and patterns are caught earlier.
- Unhackable: With the lock-down feature, no one else can access your account.
- Issues with app: Many parents have complained about having issues with the app.
- Expensive: It is a little more expensive than some other monitoring cameras.
Frequently asked questions
Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about this baby monitor. This was included so that other parents of interest can see what many others are thinking.
- Does the smart beat work with swaddles and blankets? The smart beat baby monitor will work with regular clothes, swaddles, or a sleep sack. The camera itself is so powerful, it can detect breathing motions to its lowest levels.
- Does smart beat monitor work with toddlers? Yes, it will work on anything that will produce a breathing action.
- Can false alarms be avoidable? Yes, and matter of fact you can do four things for this to be avoided: Clearance: Nothing is to be left in or around wherever your little one is sleeping. Light: Be sure no light is shining towards the camera itself, and be sure no additional movement is happening. Near: Make sure the camera is positioned within 2 feet of bassinet or crib. Tightness: Use pajamas instead of blankets, so the camera will not be misreading incorrectly.
- Can I move the camera to a different room? The camera can be moved anywhere in the house.
- What if the baby monitor stops working? If your smart beat stops working for no reason, then you can get a replacement at no cost within a 1-year time frame, because of the included warranty.
- Is the baby monitor compatible with both android and apple devices? The app can be downloaded for free from both softwares, and can be used right away.
The smart beat baby monitor is great in its essence, and does do what it’s suppose to do. Yes it is a little pricey and yes it has some issues with the app, but which item does not have any flaws. The benefits are much in favor here over the minimal associated cons.
It will monitor your little one’s breathing patterns, and will alert you when it is out of its boundaries when set-up correctly. There are plenty of parents that want nothing to happen to their little one, and will do whatever it will take in keeping them safe. There is a difference between a regular baby monitor, and a baby monitor that will show their breaths per minute. This will keep your mind at ease, and also bring down the stress levels.
I hope you have enjoyed reading this, and please let me know if you have any questions, comments, or concerns.